PAC Australia’s Performing Arts Exchange is about more than pitching. It’s a place to connect, build your network, nurture those relationships and bring opportunities for touring work to the fore.
When your first pitching opportunity presents itself, there can be a lot riding on making sure you get your pitch right, especially if presenters don’t already know you or know how great your work really is. If you’re new to touring, or are wanting to expand the reach of your work across Australia, arts markets can seem simultaneously like an incredible opportunity, but also a complete unknown.
We encourage anyone who hasn’t been to an arts market before to attend one before you apply to pitch at one.
We also know that presenters generally program work from producers they already know.
So. How do you become someone they know?
This is why we’ve developed our FIRST BASE program.
FIRST BASE is an opportunity to dip your toe in the water during a one-on-one session with a presenter at PAX, to workshop your pitch before the spotlight shines on you. Show them your pitch and they’ll work with you to:
– Identify what appeals to them as a presenter – what you need to really be pushing to get a presenter hooked
– What didn’t work for them in your pitch – what information is missing, what do presenters NEED to hear from you (it might not be what you expect).
– Introduce you to five other presenters at PAX so you can start building those all-important relationships, so when you come back to pitch at PAX you’ve already reached…. FIRST BASE.
FIRST BASE will take place on first morning of PAX, as part of our First Timers program.
Monday, 26th August, 9.30am-10.45am
If you’re offered a spot at FIRST BASE:
– There is no cost to participate. You will, however, need to register for the Performing Arts Exchange. To fully reap the benefits of the program and familiarise with the event, you should allow to stay for both days of PAX (Monday/Tuesday).
(It would be great if you could stay for the full four days and absorb all the conference-goodness as well – more information here.)
– We will provide you with a FOC spot in the event app to provide all the details on your production (98% of delegates use the app for downloading production content – over 45,000+ page views).
Applications have closed to participate in First Base. If you have any questions about the program, please contact our Producer at katherine[@]paca.org.au
Whether it’s to find creative or presenting partners or build your network, this is the place to be.